Im a big fan of html5boilerplate and have been using it with Modernizr pretty regularly lately.

I went to go run some tests and found IE7 and IE8 wouldn’t recognize any html5 tags even though my html and js came straight from initializr. I would get the error “Unexpected call to method or property access.”

After a quick dig through the moderizr docs I discovered that the html5shiv script that moderizr uses needs to come before the body tag in the head.  By default my moderizr script comes at the bottom of the body.  Moved just this script load to the head and bam, IE7 and IE8 are playing nice.